Wednesday, June 12, 2013

An Embarrassment of Riches... Zucchini-wise

I may have mentioned that in California we don't have seasons.  Or at least our seasons do not conform to the conventions that many of my agriculturally astute friends and relatives are familiar with.  When I talk to my sister about the contents of our CSA I commonly hear "But those aren't in season!"  Au contraire, sister.  My CSA begs to differ.  Anyhow, this brings us to our current predicament.  3 enormous zucchinis, totaling 2lbs this week.

We have precisely one zucchini recipe that we like and it's not exactly vegan (thanks a lot Gwyneth, you smug so and so).  Also, my parents are coming to visit tomorrow (YAY!!!!) and my mom and zucchini do not generally get along.  I was reminded of the chapter in Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle where, during zucchini season people sneak bags of the stuff onto their neighbors porches and then run away.

But then I remembered about zucchini bread!  And I confirmed that my mother is on speaking terms with zucchini bread. And I know that Kevin is delighted by anything that involves chocolate chips (like cookies, or muffins or a handful of chocolate chips).  And so my mission was clear.

I used this recipe as a template except I adjusted the oil/applesauce ratio and decreased the amount of sugar by almost a cup.  I have a sweet tooth, but 2 cups seemed like a typo, especially with the natural sweetness of the applesauce and zucchini (and chocolate chips).  I also made some of the bread in muffin form.

I had to try a muffin to make sure they tasted alright... Success!!

Vegan Zucchini Bread

Ingredients
  • 6 tbsp ground flax seeds
  • 1/2 c warm water
  • 1 c turbinado sugar (or light brown sugar)
  • 1/4 c oil
  • 3/4 c unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2½ c grated zucchini (In case you were wondering, this was ONE of our zucchinis)
  • 2 c all-purpose flour
  • 1 c whole wheat flour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp baking soda
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
  • 2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ~1 c chocolate chips or raisins, optional (I used about 2/3 cup chocolate chips)
Instructions
  1. Grease two loaf pans. (I made one loaf and 12 muffins)
  2. Mix together flax seeds and warm water.
  3. Add sugar, oil, applesauce, and vanilla; beat well.
  4. Add grated zucchini; stir til combined.
  5. In a separate bowl, sift together remaining dry ingredients.
  6. Add dry mixture to wet and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened and everything is incorporated evenly; some lumps are fine. If adding additional mix-ins, fold them in now. Divide batter between prepared pans.
  7. Bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes, for loaves or 10-15 minutes for muffins (until knife inserted in center of loaf comes out clean). Let cool a few minutes before slicing

2 comments:

  1. So are you vegan now? I missed that somewhere.

    Also, here's this: http://food52.com/recipes/6968-yam-zucchini-and-chickpea-salad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! that looks delicious!

    And yeah... I've been mostly vegan since the beginning of this year. Totally vegan at home, but it's harder out in the world. I care enough to try to order things that are vegan, but not enough to interrogate servers about butter, etc. Don't ask, don't tell.

    ReplyDelete