Friday, January 25, 2013

Sometimes you can't eat at home

This vegan thing is pretty darn easy.  Especially when I get to eat or at least prepare all my meals at home.  Even our weekly catered Friday lunch at work has a (usually) reasonable vegan option.  But eating out in the world is a different story. It turns out in most parts of the country, even those places that are vegetarian friendly have no idea what to do with vegans.

I'm in Boston currently at a conference, where the organizers were kind enough to provide meals to presenters, and there have been fairly reasonable options for vegan (or veganizable... yup, it's a word) lunches and dinners, however breakfasts and snacks have consisted primarily of baked goods.  Delicious, buttery, eggy baked goods. And so I err on the side of caution (see: hungry) in most cases.

I'm still figuring out when I care to ask questions (was this cooked in butter?) and when I'm ok just turning a blind eye. I haven't decided how outlandish I'm willing to be with "hold" requests (Could I get the "Three Egg Omelette" with mushrooms, peppers and broccoli... hold the eggs?).  This whole "living in the real world" business is hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment