Wednesday, May 15, 2013

A Place for Everything and Everything in its Mise en Place

I know that many people detest the idea of cooking after a long day at work.  I definitely fall into that camp from time to time. I also get that many eschew the image of the wife in the kitchen making sure that dinner is on the table when her husband gets home. But there's stereotype and then there's reality.

In our reality, I love cooking.  Chopping vegetables is like therapy when I come home from work.  It's a way to relax a little while still doing something productive.
Also, Kevin commutes 106 miles a day.  That is gross beyond all belief.  I would be a raging ball of stress if I had to do that.  The least I can do is make the man some dinner!
And he DOES THE DISHES! Every night!

While there are many weeknight meals I like to make, stir-fries speak especially to my sense of order. You chop everything, get it all ready, in a neat and tidy mise en place and once you start cooking, the stir fry comes together in just a few minutes.

Mise en Place

                


Red Thai Tofu and Green Beans
This recipe is a mash-up of two recipes from Appetite for Reduction by Isa Moskowitz, and approximates Tofu prik king, which is my favorite thai stir-fry dish

1 block of firm or extra firm tofu, drained and cubed
1/2 Tbsp oil
1 lb or so green beans, ends removed, in ~2 in. peices
1 red pepper, seeded and sliced (I used green pepper this time, because that's what was in my CSA)
1/4 cup shallot, thinly sliced
3-5 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp grated ginger (I keep my ginger in the freezer and take it out about 5-10 mins before I need it and grate it with a box grater.. so much easier!)
15 leaves Thai (or regular) basil

Sauce:
1.5 Tbsp Thai red curry paste
3 Tbsp soy sauce
1/2 cup water
1 Tbsp agave nectar
2 Tbsp lime juice
Red pepper flakes, to taste

Note: The original recipe calls for browning the tofu cubes in a pan with a little oil, which takes about 10 mins but I prefer to bake tofu, which takes a bit longer.  Either way works, just depends on how much time you have.

If you're baking your tofu, preheat your oven to 425. Mix together your sauce ingredients in a medium sized bowl and add your tofu for a quick marinade. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray and arrange the tofu squares, being sure not to bring along much marinade liquid and to space them 1/2 inch or so apart.   Bake for about 20-25 mins, depending on how crispy you like your tofu, turning the cubes once or twice during this time.

Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat.  Add the shallots and saute for about 5 mins.  Then add the garlic and ginger and saute another minute or two.  Add the green beans and peppers and saute for about 5 mins.  Add the sauce and continue to cook for another 5 minutes. Add the tofu and stir to coat with sauce. Take off heat and stir in the basil.

Serve with rice.

                   


No comments:

Post a Comment