Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Juice Cleanse, Day 1

For day 1, I did the Purify Cleanse, which was a mix of fruit and veggie juices, and a relatively safe place to start.

The instructions for the cleanse tell you to drink your 6 juices 2 hours apart.  I imagine the idea is that you sit down, drink your juice all at once and then do other things until your 2 hours have passed and it's time for another.  For me, I could only manage a few sips at a time, so it would take me more than an hour to get through a full bottle of juice.

I think the main lesson that I learned today was that it's really difficult for me to drink 16 ounces of anything.  Also, whatever green juice I had before was for sissies. Which brings us to...



Juice 1: Clean (Celery, Cucumber, Kale, Spinach, Parsley, Lemon, Dandelion Greens, Burdock Root)

This juice was proof that you don't really know how green a juice can be until you have one with dandelion greens.  Not my favorite way to start the day.
Really bitter, almost coffee-like flavor.  I sat out on the front porch in the morning sun and sipped on this one from about 8-9:30am, at which point, it was nearly time to start drinking...



Juice 2: Boost (Ionized water, Lemon, Turmeric)

Wow... they weren't kidding about the turmeric.  I always thought turmeric was more of a color than a flavor, but after 16 ounces, I realized just how incorrect that assumption was. It's a fairly strong, pungent flavor that I wasn't expecting. Even though these first two juices were a bit difficult to get through, I had high hopes for...




Juice 3: Support (Apple, Cucumber, Fennel, Ginger, Lemon, Mint)

Whew! Finally a really delicious juice!  The mint/ginger combo was a little bit strong, but all in all it was great.  But unfortunately between the liquid diet and the doggie waking me up every 15 minutes from 1-4am I was almost too sleepy for...




Juice 4: Young Love (Blueberries, Raspberries, Pineapple, Kale, Chia Seeds)

Another great juice. Almost like a smoothie! Although I'm beginning to worry that I only like juices with fruit in them.  And with two really tasty juices in a row, I wonder if this trend could continue throughout the rest of the day.  But then, I met this guy...




Juice 5: Beam (Carrot, Dandelion Greens, Yam, Burdock Root)

I had never before contemplated how juice might be extracted from a yam.  And contemplating yam juice is only slightly more appetizing than drinking it.  Especially after a long day of juice drinking. Which made me glad that the last "juice" was something completely different...



Juice 6: Nourish (Ionized Water, Cashews, Ginger, Vanilla, Cinnamon, Cardamom, Nutmeg)

This was sort of like horchata, and very comforting at the end of the day.

Tune in tomorrow to hear about the the Super Green Cleanse, where I meet my foe dandelion greens again.

No comments:

Post a Comment